Mental health cases continue to increase each year across the country, and the recent COVID-19 pandemic has put a significant strain on treatment centers, hospitals, and private practices. If you are wondering how to become a psychiatrist, there are plenty of education paths to choose from, where you can specialize in a specific field. If you are doing a Google search for “psychiatrist jobs near me,” check out the Behavioral Health Jobs website to find your dream career.
Behavioral Health Jobs is an online resource for jobs in the behavioral health industry for men and women looking for a new career as a psychiatrist. Students can search for entry-level positions and internships, while more experienced candidates can search for mid and senior-level positions where they can diagnose and treat patients. Check out all of the available psychiatry jobs near you on the Behavioral Health Jobs website today.
Careers in Psychiatry
Psychiatrists use a combination of medication and behavioral therapy to treat patients with a number of behavioral health issues. They work in private and group settings with patients to better understand their condition and learn how to cope with their thoughts and feelings. Psychiatrists work in a number of different organizations, including K-12 schools and universities, treatment centers, state and federal agencies, community centers, private practices, and hospitals.
There are several different career paths in psychiatry that you can follow, including:
- Child psychiatry – Treating children and adolescents with behavioral health issues in schools, hospitals, and community centers.
- Inpatient care psychiatry – Treating men and women who need 24/7 care through a residential treatment program.
- Psychiatry for addiction – Psychiatrists treat patients with an addiction to all types of substances and actions using behavioral therapy and medical support.
- Emergency psychiatry – This position helps patients with life-threatening mental health disorders during times of crisis.
- Research psychiatry – This field of practice involves researching and testing new treatments and modalities.
The need for a psychiatrist for addiction treatment is at an all-time high across the country. Behavioral Health Jobs is the best place to find a new career and help people from all walks of life.
How to Become a Psychiatrist
Becoming a psychiatrist takes several years of education and training before you can diagnose and treat patients. Students can find plenty of administrative and technical support jobs in psychiatry with a bachelor’s degree, then go on to get more education to specialize in a specific area.
Here is an example of what it will take to become a psychiatrist for addiction or other specialty areas:
- Complete a high school diploma or GED.
- Attend a four-year university studying psychiatry, social work, substance abuse, or a related field.
- Attend medical school with two years of academic study and two years of practical experience in a supervised environment.
- Complete a four-year residency specializing in psychiatry. The first year is spent treating patients with a wide range of medical issues, with the next three years spent learning how to diagnose and treat patients with mental health illnesses.
- Apply for board certification by the American Board of Psychology and Neurology.
- Attend continuing education classes to stay up to date with licensing and learn about new techniques in mental health treatment.
Browse Behavioral Health Jobs Website Today for Psychiatrist Jobs near You
Behavioral Health Jobs is the best website for learning how to become a psychiatrist and find an exciting new career. Job seekers can search for jobs based on licensing and experience level and whether they offer remote work options. Many employers have increased their salaries and benefits packages to attract qualified candidates with benefits such as tuition reimbursement and extended paid time off.
Psychiatry jobs are in high demand across the country and in a city near you. Browse through the Behavioral Health Jobs website today to find a new career as a psychiatrist.