Finding a job in the mental health field is an enriching career where you can help people recover from various mental health issues. There are jobs available for qualified applicants at all levels, from administrative, management, clinical services, and many more. You can find hundreds of available jobs in behavioral health at Behavioral Health Jobs. Our job listing website specializes in behavioral and mental health jobs, among other options.
Why Choose A Rewarding Career in the Mental Health Field?
There are many reasons to join the mental health field. It is a rewarding career that can make a difference in people’s lives. The mental health field offers many different types of jobs, from counseling to therapy to research. Mental health careers can be very flexible, and there are many opportunities for advancement. Mental health workers also report high levels of job satisfaction.
If you are interested in helping people and making a difference in the world, then a career in mental health may be the right choice for you. Mental health workers are in high demand, and the job market is expected to grow in the coming years. If you are looking for a stable and rewarding career, a job in the mental health field may be the perfect choice.
Beginning Your Job Search In The Mental Health Field
While a career in the mental health field is rewarding, it is also highly stressful and has a high rate of burnout from workers who are not fully prepared for the job. Those who can put up with the stress and hardships that come with the job will provide life-changing support for those in need. You will inspire hope, give compassion, and help patients learn the skills they need to overcome their challenges.
In order to thrive in the mental health field, you will need specific skills that you will use to help patients. These skills include:
- Active listening
- Critical thinking
If you consider these some of your top skills, a job in the mental health field is a great choice.
What Degrees Are Necessary for Jobs in the Behavioral Health Field?
Along with these skills, you will need post-secondary education to qualify for many of the non-administrative positions. Minimal education requirements will require a bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields:
- Social work
- Human services
Some positions require a master’s degree in mental health counseling, psychology, human development, or nursing, depending on your career path. For a job as a psychiatrist or psychologist, you will need to complete a doctorate-level degree, plus additional licensing and a residency program.
Occupations in Mental Health Field
If you are not sure which career path to choose, here are five popular occupations that are available in the mental health field.
- Clinical or counseling psychologist – You will diagnose and treat patients with behavioral, mental, and emotional disorders in this position. In addition, you can also help them through any crises, illnesses, or injuries that may have occurred. This position requires a Ph.D. or Psy.D degree in psychology.
- Marriage and family therapist – You will help families, couples, and individuals with their mental health issues within the dynamic of their relationship. In addition, you will help rebuild trust and restore fractured relationships that were broken during addiction and other behavioral issues. A master’s degree in marriage and family counseling is necessary to qualify for this position.
- Clinical social worker – A clinical social worker will help patients with mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders. Social workers often work in government-funded community programs to help those who cannot afford regular treatment. A master’s degree in social work (MSW) is required.
- Psychiatric registered nurse – A psychiatric nurse is a registered nurse (RN) who specializes in psychiatric and mental health issues. They provide care for patients with behavioral and mental health issues, like addiction and PTSD. Becoming a registered psychiatric nurse will require multiple degrees, including psychiatric-mental health education.
- Psychiatrist – Psychiatrists are medical professionals whose specialty is in treating psychiatric disorders. This career path requires a bachelor’s degree, four years in medical school, and a four-year residency in psychiatry. Additional licensing and certifications are required.
There are hundreds of occupations in the mental health field for you to follow. Research the career paths that interest you the most and apply today.
Start Your Job Search in the Mental Health Field at Behavioral Health Jobs
Behavioral Health Jobs can help you start your new job search in the field of mental and behavioral health. You will find many rewarding career options within the mental health industry that you can choose to pursue. To start a new job search in mental health, check out the available job listings in the mental health field at Behavioral Health Jobs.