Counseling for substance abuse disorders is essential for anyone looking for a safe and effective recovery experience. Breaking the physical dependence on drugs or alcohol is just the first step toward lifelong recovery. Patients can expect to participate in behavioral and holistic therapies for several months or longer to develop the necessary skills for lifelong, sustainable recovery. Substance abuse counselor jobs are in high demand across the country, where you can find a rewarding career and make a significant difference in hundreds of lives.
Behavioral Health Jobs is an online database connecting job seekers with companies looking for eager and experienced employees. Our job board contains behavioral health jobs in all specialties, from substance abuse disorder treatment to marriage and family counseling and other mental health career paths. Check out the available substance abuse counselor jobs on the Behavioral Health Jobs website today to find a rewarding and challenging career.
Choosing a Career as a Substance Abuse Counselor
Substance abuse counselors require extensive education, training, and licensing to diagnose and treat patients in treatment centers, hospitals, and other mental health care facilities. It also requires a thick skin and a strong desire to help people recover from substance use disorder. Candidates will need active listening skills, an empathetic nature, and strict boundaries separating personal and work life to prevent burnout.
This career can be very challenging and extremely rewarding. Not many jobs can say they have such a significant impact on helping people turn their lives around. Many times, those who recover from substance abuse will become a counselor as a means to help others and have a continual reminder of why they are sober.
There are many career choices for candidates who want a career in substance abuse, such as:
- Substance abuse counselor
- Community health worker
- Care coordinator
- Social worker
- Recovery nurse
Behavioral Health Jobs is the best place to start to find a career helping people with their substance abuse treatment. There are jobs available for all experience and education levels, and many companies offer tuition and testing reimbursement for continuing education and license exam fees.
The Importance of Counseling for Substance Abuse
There are several steps to take to complete substance use disorder treatment. Patients need to break the physical dependence on the substance, understand what led to the addiction, and change their negative habits. If they don’t complete the recovery process, they are more likely to relapse and potentially overdose and die.
Additional reasons why counseling for substance abuse treatment is so important:
- There is no cure for substance abuse disorder, and patients can experience a relapse even after years of sobriety. The typical amount of time to complete substance abuse treatment is from 90 days to several months or years for extreme cases of addiction.
- Counseling helps patients discover the root cause of their addiction and how to change the way they view themselves and the world around them through behavioral therapies.
- Group therapy allows patients to see they are not alone in their struggles, which is very important for their recovery.
- Patients rediscover the power they have within themselves to make positive changes in their lives.
- Patients gain an extensive support network of help through the friendships they build with those who complete their recovery together.
Behavioral Health Jobs Is Your Top Resource for Substance Abuse Counselor Jobs
Behavioral Health Jobs is a dedicated job board for candidates looking for a rewarding career in the behavioral health industry. Counseling for substance abuse treatment is crucial for reducing the growing number of addiction cases that continue to rise yearly. Get your foot in the door toward a fulfilling career as a substance abuse counselor by checking out the available substance abuse jobs on the Behavioral Health Jobs website.