About the job
Central Michigan University (CMU) College of Medicine and CMU Health – in Saginaw, MI – is looking for full-time board certified/board eligible Consultation Liaison (CL) psychiatrist to join our team, fellowship training is a plus. This role includes resident and medical student education. There is an opportunity for a formal educational position, for those who desire programmatic leadership and have the requisite experience. CMU Health’s affiliated hospitals (Ascension St. Mary’s and Covenant Healthcare) are located in the Great Lakes Bay Region – admired for its friendly communities and great quality of life.
Why choose CMU College of Medicine?
- Opportunity to teach, treat and lead positive change throughout the region
- Time allocations for research and academic pursuits
- Medium-sized city within a friendly community
- Low cost of living, ample housing, easy commute to large cities and international airport
- Vibrant local attractions and outdoor activities
- Flexibility to fit candidates into the appropriate setting for the development of candidate and success of program
This is an academic faculty position serving as a Consultation-Liaison in Psychiatry. This position provides services necessary for the diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric disorders of patients typically in an inpatient medical facility. This includes the assessment, diagnosis, and management of mental health problems and psychiatric disorders. The Psychiatry CL works collaboratively with a dynamic care team—including, nurse practitioners, resident physicians (those in a psychiatry residency and others), and students, to maintain a census on the teaching and non-teaching service that balances the needs of the patients, faculty, and learners.
Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry will account for the candidate’s choice of clinical psychiatry in inpatient, outpatient, and combined settings. Medical student and for junior faculty, which may be adjusted for more seasoned educators.
CMU is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff privileges at all applicable member hospitals/facilities in which Doctor provides or performs services will be maintained with academic work rounds and attending rounds. Faculty will be engaged in providing quality education in a clinical environment, service diverse patients, including the medically underserved and low-income population. Call coverage shall be performed in accordance with the Psychiatry on-call schedule, which may include weeknight, weekend, and holiday call coverage.
- Provide clinical supervision in the in-patient settings including evaluation of residents, APP’s, and/or medical students in the hospitals.
- Supervise residents and/or medical students who may be taken on electives.
Departmental leadership responsibilities, medical directorships, etc.
Contributes to the departmental research objective on a continual basis. This amounts to an average of one day per month for scholarly activity, to include work on regional or national presentations, research mentoring and peer-reviewed publications as required by ACGME.
- Faculty will aid in the planning and implementation of training and educational programs in or relating to their Program, which are under the aegis of CMU Medical Education Partners, including clinics, out-patient services, office-based programs, other community services, and assist in the evaluation of such programs with an emphasis on geriatric psychiatry.
- Assists with the annual curriculum for conferences and monitors resident and/or medical student presentations at the conferences, for both the Clinic and member hospitals.
- Maintains access to all patients admitted to any of the services of the department; staffs resident teaching rounds; directs CME; and, aids in the identification and utilization of available community resources in the Training Program of the department.
- Lectures on relevant topics at routine conferences, Grand Rounds topics and other conferences as are educationally required for the residency program.
- Assist the program in the evaluation of residents at all phases of training.
- Participates in clerkship student conferences during each rotation.
- Requisite specialty expertise and documented educational and administrative experience acceptable to the Review Committee.
- Current certification in the specialty by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), or specialty qualifications that are acceptable to the Review Committee.
- Current, unrestricted medical licensure in the State of Michigan, and appropriate medical staff appointment with participating institutions.
The above description provides a brief overview of the essential duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and requirements. It should not be construed as all encompassing. Additional duties may be assigned or deleted as needed
CMU is an equal opportunity employer.
- MD or DO
- State of Michigan licensed or eligible
- Board-eligible or certified Psychiatrist
- C/L Fellowship Trained preferred
- Controlled Substance license
- Must meet credentialing criteria
- Leadership or educational experience preferred
Compensation Package May Include
- Excellent benefits package
- Commencement bonus
- Relocation assistance
- CME allowance with (5) five days
- J1 Visa Sponsorship
- H1b Visa
- License(s) expense
- Four (4) weeks of PTO
- Health, Wellness & Fitness
- Medical Practice
- Hospital & Health Care
- Health Care Provider
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Remote Work No remote work