Posting Dates: 04/27/2022 – No Closing Date
Job Family: Social Services
Department: Welfare Self Reliance Department
We are looking for licensed professional counselors and rehabilitation counselors who seek inspiration as they assist those with barriers that prevent them from obtaining employment and achieving long-term self-reliance. Counselors are housed in the Deseret Industries store and support the Deseret Industries job training program. The ideal candidate will have a true passion for helping others heal emotionally, gain self-confidence, create hope, and identify viable vocational/career pathways. If this is you, come join a dynamic team as we empower individuals in their self-reliance journey “in the Lord’s way”!
This complex and rewarding professional position involves a variety of activities throughout the workday, such as: professional and individualized assessments, expert counseling and guidance—including crisis intervention and vocational/career counseling—consultation with Church leaders, while working cohesively with community resources and other stakeholders to achieve long-lasting change.
“Giving help to others—making a conscientious effort to care about others as much as or more than we care about ourselves—is our joy” (Pte. Russell M. Nelson, General Conference, October 2019).
For more information about Development Counseling Services, please visit: https://www.ldsjobs.org/ers/ct/overview-development-counseling-services?lang=eng
Development Counselor job decsription 3/4/20
70% Vocational Counseling: Provides development expertise and services for up to 150 associates annually (average of 60-76 at any given time). Assesses associates’ vocational strengths, weaknesses, vocational impairments and gathers related disability information. Administers formal vocational assessments; analyzes and synthesizes the information. Guides the associate in creating a development plan. Processes enrollment of associates in compliance with Church policies and applicable laws. Maintains files, correspondence with priesthood leaders, and bishop-assigned mentors. Coordinates all aspects of the development process with associates. Coordinates case staffing meetings with involved parties. Ensures the associate is prepared for job placement.
15% Professional Consultation: Provides consultation to Church leaders. Trains and supervises work done by Church- Service Missionaries and volunteers.
15% Resource Management: Develops working relationships and partnerships with other Church resources and with community resources and programs, including government agencies, technical training programs, other schools and employers. Identifies appropriate offsite technical skills training programs, establishes payment options and training report guidelines for associates attending these programs. Establishes partnerships with employers for business partnerships and job placement opportunities. Consults with Church leaders.
- Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work, Counseling Psychology, or closely related discipline
- Current independent clinical license—e.g. LCSW, LPC/CMHC, or other clinical licensures
- At least one year of professional experience working with people with disabilities—e.g. physical, mental health, cognitive, etc.—or with recovered substance abusers. Experience and licensure will impact entry level position.
- Solid understanding of disabilities and their accompanying work assignment needs, and of applicable labor and disability laws and regulations
- Ability to navigate complexity in team-based clinical settings, being able to work independently with little oversight
- Proven vocational assessment, plan development, and vocational counseling skills
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Proven problem-solving ability in crisis situations
- Demonstrated empathic listening skills—e.g. attending, insightful reflections
- Proven ability to determine relevant priorities, and proven use of judgment in leveraging time and resources, as well as the use of human capital
- Knowledge of where to find local job resources
- Demonstrated people management experience in coaching, training, teaching, etc.
- Digital case management database experience
- Foreign language skills
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
POSTING NOTICE/MORE INFO.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.