Location: Maplewood, New Jersey
Salary: Commensurate with experience
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in
Maplewood, N.J, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive
mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental
health treatment is extremely limited.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 120,000 women with depression in Uganda and
Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve
millions of people in the next ten years. StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental
health space. In addition to media coverage in the BBC World Service, Forbes, and the Stanford Social
Innovation Review, we are described by Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health
organization working in the developing world.
In 2022, StrongMinds is launching its unique depression treatment program in the US. We will test, iterate,
and deploy our group talk therapy model initially in New Jersey with ambitious plans to expand to many other
locations in the US in the following years.
Position description: Licensed Clinical Social Worker:
StrongMinds seeks a licensed clinical social worker to support our Director of US Programs bringing our proven
mental health treatment program to the US. This position is ideal for someone with the passion and high
energy to work in a challenging environment. S/he will work face to face with the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous
and People of Color) population in the Newark area. It is a great opportunity to make a positive impact in an
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position and is sited at StrongMinds office in Maplewood, NJ. However, it is
primarily home-and community-based. A flexible schedule including occasional early evening hours may be
- Participate in the organization’s ambitious US launch in 2022 including operations and logistics to
begin treating clients in Q3/Q4.
- Assist in the assessment, planning, organizing and implementing of depression treatment programs.
- Responsible for the content of education and counseling programs for both individual patients or
groups of patients and serves as liaison to community groups as appropriate.
- Provide individual and or group outpatient therapy in multiple group sessions using IPT-G model.
- Conduct prescreening and initial intake assessments.
- Contribute to marketing StrongMinds’ service and community outreach.
- Maintain professional liability insurance & CEU requirements per state requirements.
- Flexible schedule subject to office availability.
- Assessing, diagnosing, and treating individuals/groups suffering from serious emotional, mental, or life
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or an equivalent related field required.
- Licensed in New Jersey to provide psychotherapy as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Professional
- Knowledge of IPT-G model and/or receptive to training.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience as a licensed social worker.
- Previous experience working with a wide range of populations, specifically BIPOC.
- LCSW should have strong clinical skills and expertise in counseling, groups and individual therapy.
- Strong management skills in mental health and substance use disorders.
- Ability to use business acumen to exercise good judgment and decision-making.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues with diplomacy and discretion.
- Strong organizational, record-keeping, and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to communicate both verbally and in written form.
- Commitment to cultural diversity and sensitivity.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor under pressure and operate with a keen sense of urgency
and commitment to quality.
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus.
The successful LCSW will be expected to embrace and role model the core values of StrongMinds:
- We are people focused.
- We think big and act fast.
- We are data driven.
- We do what we say and say what we do.
- We believe in collaboration, not competition.
This position will be based in the StrongMinds’ office in Maplewood, NJ
Start Date: Soonest.
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter and résumé to Susan Ryan via email at
Valerie@strongminds.org mentioning ‘LCSW’ in subject line.