$18.00 – $20.25 an hour
Full Job Description
The Sacramento Children’s Home is an equal opportunity employer who values an inclusive work environment that celebrates and recognizes the diversity of its employees. At SCH, we appreciate that having employees of many different backgrounds strengthens our organization, and we strive to create a workforce that reflects the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Cottage Supervisor and the work guidance and direction of the Lead Residential Counselor, the Residential Counselor is the primary caregiver to the children, providing leadership and supervision. The Residential Counselor ensures the safety and security of the children at all times working in coordination with the cottage team, and assists the children in the performance of regular daily activities, including bed making, personal hygiene, room cleaning, and all other chores normally expected of children their ages. The Residential Counselor provides a caring, warm, consistent environment for the children through setting clear boundaries, supporting, encouraging, and giving verbal praise and acknowledgment to children for positive actions and decisions to help build self-esteem, age appropriate interpersonal skills, positive thinking, problem solving, proper language, coping skills, respect for others and self and brainstorming alternative, appropriate behaviors, etc. This position also orients new residents to the campus program and ensure the bedroom area is safe, clean and in line with the welcoming plan for new residents.
The following is required:
- A high school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- A Bachelor’s Degree; OR
- A valid Child Development Teaching Permit; or
- Completion of 12 semester units of Early Childhood Education, Adolescent Development or Foster and Kinship Care Education and at least 100 hours of experience working with youth; or
- A valid certificate as an Alcohol Counselor, Drug Counselor or Alcohol and Drug Counselor and at least 100 hours of experience working with youth; or
- A valid Vocational Training certificate, credential or documentation demonstrating that the individual is a trade journeyperson who instructs children in vocational skills and at least 100 hours of experience working with youth as a mentor, athletic coach, teacher, vocational coach, tutor, counselor or other relevant experience as determined by Community Care Licensing; or
- Previous employment as a full time employee or volunteer at a group home, short-term residential therapeutic center or substance abuse treatment program for at least one year; or
- Relevant life experience in the child welfare, mental health or juvenile justice system as a consumer, mentor, or caregiver.
BENEFITS: Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life and accident insurance, short and long term disability plans, retirement plan with company match, paid vacation, sick leave, 10 paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, professional development and career advancement opportunities.
PLEASE NOTE: Non-SCH employees who are made an offer of employment will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background process that includes passing a drug test that includes marijuana. Applicants who do not pass any part of this pre-employment process will have their offer of employment rescinded.
Since 1867, the Sacramento Children’s Home has been committed to providing high quality care to the Sacramento region’s most vulnerable children and families. Our long history has positioned our agency at the forefront of caring for at-risk youth and helping to build strong families throughout our community, and today, we are the preeminent provider of child and family services in the region. With a growing portfolio of programs and services focused on child abuse prevention, intervention, and mental health treatment, the Sacramento Children’s Home is among the most highly respected nonprofit workplaces in Northern California. We offer prospective employees a values-driven workplace, excellent benefits and outstanding career advancement opportunities, all while making a positive impact in your community.
- Salary Offers $18.00 - $20.25 an hour
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Remote Work No remote work