Conducts psychiatric evaluations and provides medication management and limited therapy for Northwestern University students. Provides crisis intervention, consultation, and psychological programming to the NU community. Completes psychiatric record-keeping in the electronic medical record. Supervises graduate trainees in psychology and/or psychiatry.
Please note: Some evening hours may be required.
- Provides direct clinical services including psychiatric consultation, medication management appointments, crisis services, intakes, limited therapy, and after hours on-call responsibilities.
- Maintains electronic medical record.
- Consultation with families (e.g., parents, spouses, significant others), off-campus providers, and other university partners, including, but not limited to, Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS), Northwestern University Health Services, academic deans, faculty, residence life staff, other campus offices and students, when appropriate and with appropriate authorization in order to provide quality care to students.
- Makes referrals and links students to off campus mental health services, including individual therapists, psychiatrists, higher levels of care such as Intensive Outpatient Programs(IOP)/Partial Hospitalization Programs(PHP), Hospital EDs for admission, and specialized treatment programs such as Substance Use and Eating Disorders Programs.
- Consults with other treatment team members and trainees at CAPS as indicated
Outreach and Educational Programs
- Conducts outreach and educational programming as requested, including suicide prevention, orientation lectures to new students, and emergency support services to the campus community.
- Serves as liaison to various campus departments/offices, as assigned.
- Provides lectures to psychology interns, as needed/assigned.
- Supervises psychiatry residents and/or psychology trainees, as needed/assigned
- Attends and participates in regular CAPS staff meetings and professional development meetings. Attends a staffing disposition team.
- Participates in other committees, as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Graduated from an accredited school of medicine or an equivalent international medical school, and successfully completed an ACGME or AOA residency/fellowship in psychiatry.
- Board eligible/certified in Adult or Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Has an unrestricted license or license-eligible in the State of Illinois, and has an unrestricted DEA license.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work as part of a highly cohesive and interdisciplinary team. Strong communication and organizational skills are essential. Must have an ability to deal effectively with high levels of stress and ambiguity.
- Demonstrated understanding of ethical and legal issues in mental health practice.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Strong crisis intervention and consultation skills, solid psycho-pharmacological knowledge, and some psychotherapy abilities.
- Experience with various word processing and electronic medical record system.
- Experience with and commitment to working with diverse patients, including individuals from ethnically/racially diverse backgrounds and individuals representing varying sexual orientations and socio-economic statuses.
- Experience with the delivery of cross-cultural and trauma informed psychiatric care.
- Supervision of psychiatry residents and/or doctoral level psychology graduate students (in a site accredited by the American Psychological Association).
- Knowledge and experience with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Eating Disorders assessment and treatment, Substance abuse assessment and treatment, and Trauma informed care.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Remote Work No remote work