Responsible for providing social work services to the hospital’s patients and their families to address psychosocial and environmental factors which impact their healthy functioning and/or recovery. Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team providing direct clinical services including assessment, brief intervention, and coordination of services. Develops a network of community agencies to facilitate referrals. The clinical social worker assists in the development/implementation of department policies, programs, and procedures.
1. Provides competent clinical care to patients and their families. Engages with the interdisciplinary team to address the psychosocial and environmental factors impacting the health and wellbeing of the hospital’s patients.
2. Provides direct clinical social work services to patients and their families in the hospital setting. This includes psychosocial assessment, crisis intervention, counseling, ongoing support for appropriate patient populations, coordination of appropriate referrals and mandatory reporting when necessary. Facilitates safety planning with patient and/or family when appropriate. Utilizes clinical supervision as needed for complex cases.
3. Collaborates and coordinates care with the interdisciplinary team. This includes attending daily rounds and actively providing feedback and recommendations to supplement patient care.
4. Maintains all required documentation, including clinical assessments and follow up notes in patient medical records. Completes statistical reporting and other documentation as required by the clinical supervisor or the Joint Commission.
5. Develops and maintains a network of community agencies to facilitate patient access and services at the necessary level of care upon discharge from the hospital. Provides referral and advocacy when clinically appropriate.
6. Maintains appropriate licensure and enhances professional growth and development through continuing education.
7. Participates in development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures.
8. Participates in supervision with clinical supervisor, in both individual and group settings, as scheduled by supervisor.
9. Performs all other social work duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications & Specifications
A Master’s degree in Social Work or related field. Certification as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) required. Licensure as an Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) strongly preferred. Applicants with an LCSW would be required to obtain their LICSW within a period of three years from the date of hire. Experience in a healthcare setting or hospital strongly preferred.
WIH – Internal Posting Period: 10/27 – 11/5/2021