Waukesha County’s Department of Health and Human Services is recruiting for talented Human Services Support Specialists to join its teams within the Clinical Services Division. These positions will provide an array of services to adults who are enrolled in Waukesha County’s certified DHS 36 Comprehensive Community Services (CCS) and DHS 63 Community Support Program (CSP). Selected candidates will work within a team that includes: clinical supervisor, case manager or service facilitator, mental health professionals, psychiatric prescribers, nurses, peer specialist, and ancillary support staff. Typical work assignments for this position involves medication monitoring, individual skill development and training, health monitoring, and socialization skill development to consumers. Selected candidates will have knowledge of mental health and substance use treatment services utilizing principles of psychosocial rehabilitation. These positions do require evenings, weekends, and holidays. Candidates must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Under supervision, performs para-professional work providing support and case management in a variety of human services programs to clients of all ages; performs other duties as required.
- Answers intake calls, evaluates needs, conducts home visits, and refers for professional or para-professional follow-up.
- Communicates with clients, staff, and providers on a variety of case-related issues to resolve problems and provide and gather information.
- Provides training to clients in household management and budgeting skills; manages client bank and checking accounts.
- Teaches proper parenting skills to parents including effective discipline measures and assists in setting up support systems for parents.
- Establishes and maintains list of community resources available for clients and directs clients to appropriate resources.
- Works with professional staff to determine case plan for clients, implements plan, and observes and records client behavior.
- Maintains and/or schedules appointments and calendars for a variety of upcoming case activities, follows through with required action, and tracks and monitors case activities to ensure completion.
- Coordinates legal and financial functions.
- Gathers and assesses case information and determines eligibility of clients for various state and federal grant and aid programs.
- Coordinates and supports unit activity and program information such as Teen Court, Adult Protective Services, etc.
- Determines amount of restitution and community service owed by juveniles, to whom it is owed, and who is responsible for payment; monitors, tracks and provides reports on payments and service.
- Establishes and maintains complex electronic and paper files and records of forms, case histories, correspondence, financial verifications, and reports.
- Compiles and enters a variety of data into various departmental computer programs and databases, and creates and interprets database reports
- Serves as liaison for court and county departments for notices of hearings, court petitions, court orders and other documents.
- Provides service of legal petitions.
- Assists in representing the department in court and administrative hearings related to denial, change, or cancellation of services for a client; may testify in court at child welfare, adult protection, and restitution hearings.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, staff, community agencies, insurance companies, courts, volunteers, law enforcement agencies, schools, and the general public.
- Provides transportation for clients.
- Prepares newsletters, brochures, bulletins, reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
- Performs other duties as required.
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of Federal, State, and Local statutes, regulations, and codes pertaining to agency programs.
- Considerable knowledge of agency programs and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of Federal, State, and County compliance standards and regulations and eligibility factors of need determination for financial and other forms of assistance.
- Working knowledge of the principles of human growth and behavior.
- Working knowledge of socio-economic conditions and their affect on clients.
- Working knowledge of mathematical and budgeting methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of computerized department program software, internet access, and database, spreadsheet, and word processing programs.
- Working knowledge of standard office equipment, including telephones, fax machines, keyboards, copiers, printers, scanners, shredders, and department/division specific equipment.
- Working knowledge of community and government programs and resources.
- Ability to interpret agency programs to clients, families, and the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective public and working relationships with clients, staff, families, community agencies, insurance companies, courts, volunteers, law enforcement agencies, schools, and the general public.
- Ability to effectively interact with sensitivity with persons from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, racial, ethnic, and professional backgrounds, and persons of all ages and lifestyles.
- Ability to accurately gather and record detailed observations, information, and facts.
- Ability to understand and interpret federal, state, and local rules, regulations, statutes, codes, and programs relating to human services programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work activities within required timelines.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and complete records and reports.
- Ability to utilize word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to understand the individual and social security characteristics of agency clientele.
You must meet these minimum Training and Experience requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two years of responsible work experience, preferably in human services, or two years of post high school education from a recognized college or university.
Waukesha County’s pay plans, group insurance programs, and other benefit policies comprise a package that is highly competitive and satisfies the needs of its employees. This is intended to give only a brief summary of the employee benefit package; it should not be considered a complete or definitive source of information. Additional information will be provided prior to the time of hire. Benefits for part-time position are pro-rated.
5 days of vacation immediately upon hire.
Vacation Earning Schedule:
Years of Service Earning Rate Per Month Max Accumulation
1st through 6th 8-hours 80-hours (2-weeks)
7th through 13th 12-hours 120-hours (3-weeks)
14th through 22nd 16-hours 160-hours (4-weeks)
23rd and over 20-hours 200-hours (5-weeks)
Holidays (9 paid holidays)
New Year’s Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve Day
New Year’s Eve Day
Regular part-time employees earn one-half (½) holiday benefits.
Some employees are required to work on holidays. In these cases, extra compensation or an alternative day off may be authorized.
2 paid floating holidays earned on February 1 and June 1.
8 hours earned per month, up to a maximum of 960 hours.
Up to 24 hours of leave with pay to attend the funeral of an immediate family member.
Health Insurance – High Deductible Health Plan
County pays 85% of premium and employee contributes 15% of the premium.
Health Savings Account
Pre-tax savings account that can be used for qualifying medical expenses (e.g. office visit fees, co-pays, prescriptions, vision and dental). County contributes to health savings account based on Health Risk Assessment completion – $2,250 for family plan and $1,125 for single plan.
Onsite Health and Wellness Clinic
Available to individuals who are enrolled in the County’s health insurance plan including employees, spouses, and children ages 2+. Preventive care services are free. All dispensed prescriptions are $2. Dispensed available ACA preventative medications are $0 cost. Non-preventative care visits are $28. Physical therapy is $28 per visit. No cost for office visits after deductible is met. Clinic staffed with MD and Physician Assistant, Physical Therapists, and Health Coaches.
Choice of two dental plans. Coverage begins on the first day of the month following 6-months of employment.
Coverage begins on the first day of the month following 60-days of employment.
Employee Wellness Activities & Program/Fitness Center
24/7 access to a wealth of health tools and information on the wellness portal. On-going education programs, fitness challenges and classes. On-site fitness center in Administration Center and Health & Human Services buildings.
As a full-time employee, you will automatically be enrolled in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This pension is administered by the State of Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds. You are required to pay the employee’s share of contributions to the fund, while Waukesha County contributes the employer’s share. Employees are vested in their portion of contributions immediately and after five years of creditable service for the employer contribution. To view employee/employer contribution rates, visit Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds’ website and type in WRS Contribution Rates in the search box.
Part time employees are enrolled and required to pay the employee’s share of contributions after working 1,200 hours of work in any 12-month period.
457 Deferred Compensation
Optional program used to supplement retirement income. Pre-tax and Roth options available. Eligible to contribute upon hire.
Payroll Roth IRA
Optional post-tax program used to supplement retirement income. Eligible to contribute upon hire.
Group Term Life Insurance
Automatic coverage in life insurance at no cost to employee. Coverage effective first of the month following six months of employment. Coverage upon hire is one times annual salary and then transitions to one times prior year gross salary after at least one full calendar year of employment is completed.
Voluntary Supplemental Term Life Insurance
Additional voluntary coverage for an employee at the employee’s expense. May purchase amount in increments of $25,000 up to $200,000. No medical underwriting upon initial eligibility. Coverage effective first of the month following six months of employment.
Dependent Life Insurance
Voluntary life insurance coverage for a spouse or dependent child at the employee’s expense. Coverage effective first of the month following six months of employment.
Option 1:$20,000 (spouse)/$10,000 (child) – $4.00/month
Option 2: $10,000 (spouse)/$5,000 (child) – $2.00/month
Dependent Care FSA
Optional pre-tax benefit account where employees to deduct up to $5,000 ($2,500 if married and filing separate federal income tax returns) that can used to reimburse self for eligible dependent care services such as child or adult daycare. Coverage effective first of month following 60 days of employment.
Optional pre-tax benefit account where employee can contribute pre-tax dollars to pay for health care expenses not covered under a group health, dental, or vision plan such as deductible, co-insurance, co-pay etc. Must not be enrolled in an HSA Qualifying High Deductible Health Plan to elect. Coverage effective first of month following 60 days of employment.
Retirement Health Savings Plan
Automatic enrollment in a retirement health savings plan. County makes contributions each month on the second paycheck of the month on behalf of employee. Effective the first of the month following employment.
Long-term Disability Insurance
Automatic coverage in long-term disability. County pays 100% of monthly premiums. Coverage effective the first of the month following employment.
Employee Assistance Program
Voluntary program that offers free and confidential assessments, short-term counseling, referrals, and follow-up services to employees and their family members who have personal and/or work-related problems. Unlimited access to a highly informative website with articles and tools to support you in a wide variety of your work/life needs. Eligible immediately upon hire.
Financial assistance for attending Job-related classes.
Employee Discount Programs
- Dell products.
- Discount on cell service through U.S. Cellular, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon.
- Discounted rate to get Microsoft 365 through Microsoft Home Use Program.
- Salary Offers $16.94 - $22.37 an hour